Wednesday, October 22, 2008

VeganMoFo and Mango-Blueberry Upside Down Shortcakes





Oooh...yummy!

Ingredients (makes 1 dozen)

Fruit
1 mango, peeled, seeded and cubed
1 cup of fresh blueberries (I am sure frozen would work too)
1/2 cup sugar

Dry
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp arrowroot
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Wet
6 oz non dairy yogurt
4 oz applesauce
1/4 cup non dairy milk
1/4 cup oil
2 tsp vanilla

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If you have a really good non-stick muffin pan, use it. I don't like to use paper cups for these, but you can if you want to. In a bowl, mix the fruit and sugar. Set aside. In a seperate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Mix together the wet, seperately and mix into the dry. Divide the fruit into all twelve cups.



Spoon the batter atop the fruit.



Bake for about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Invert onto another cookie sheet, and allow the shortcakes to naturally fall out of the pan.



Top with a simple icing of powdered sugar and soymilk, if desired.

8 comments:

aimee said...

Thank you! These look delicious!

Megan said...

You can send those to me any time.

Bex said...

those looks so beautifully delicious and I need one now.

Caty said...

Thanks for the recipe- definitely getting bookmarked. They look really really tasty.

allularpunk said...

hey, i just stumbled across your blog for the first time and love it! and these upside down cakes look completely amazing. you have some yummy looking recipes that i really have to try. oh, and i cannot WAIT for this burger book to be mine.

Kelly said...

Mmmmm...this is the first time I have heard of an upside down shortcake. Those look luscious and you can tell from the photo that they are really flavorful and gooey. Nice recipe.

...kristen... said...

sheesus...this takes the cake! i just tried to bite my screen...

Patrick said...

Hi Joni, I recently discovered your blog and have tried a number of your recipes already. All have been great but this one is fantastic! I've tried it most recently with blueberries and strawberries with delicious results. Thanks so much!

2012 Copyright/Permissions/Disclaimers

All recipes written by me, Joni Marie Newman, unless otherwise noted. Please feel free to refer to or link back to any of my recipes, but please ask for permission, and remember to give credit when reprinting recipes in their entirety. I do provide links to affiliate programs (such as Amazon) in which I receive a small commission for items purchased. I do not provide paid reviews. All reviews done on products or books are of my own unsolicited opinion. On occasion I may receive a book or product to review. I will note when this is the case, but rest assured, it will not affect the authenticity of my review. Thanks!--Joni