Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Spring has Sprung!

And lemons are definitely on the menu! I've been going lemon crazy lately. Lemons, lemons, and more...lemons! All I think about is lemons.

Here's a tester from the 500 Vegan Recipes book.



No crazy equipment needed here. The un-traditional addition of pectin makes this frozen treat soft and scoopable straight out of the freezer!

Gelato au Citron et Framboises (Lemon Raspberry Gelato)
2 cups (470 ml) vanilla soymilk
1/2 cup (120 ml) fresh lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup (200 g) evaporated cane juice (granulated sugar)*
2 tablespoons (28 g) nondairy butter
1.75 ounces (49 g) premium fruit pectin (like Sure-Jell) found in the canning section of the supermarket**
6 ounces (170 g) fresh or frozen raspberries

Into a pot, add milk, lemon juice, zest, sugar, and butter. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Stirring often to prevent over flow. Simmer for ten minutes. Add in pectin and whisk vigorously to dissolve completely. Continue to simmer about 2 more minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in berries and pour into an airtight container. Freeze overnight. Enjoy!

*I admit that this is very, very sweet. Feel free to cut back on the sugar if you choose...me? No way!

***After some tester experimentation, it appears that the canning pectin we use here in the states for jam and jelly making is quite different from that found elsewhere in the world. "PURE" pectin is a bit too powerful here, and I will do some experimenting with the amount of "Pure" needed to make the mix work. For now, DO NOT USE PURE PECTIN, only use the mix available at stores which has added dextrose and citric or fumaric acid added to it.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow...that is spectacular!!!

veggievixen said...

oooh, how beautiful! i am so excited for SPRING.

jb said...

This looks absolutely amazing, raspberries are my favorite!

Tami said...

That looks like spring! So pretty!

Anonymous said...

Is Earth Balance good for the non-dairy butter? (I'm just wondering if it has too much salt.)

Joni Marie Newman said...

EB is what I always use! Besides, a little salt brings out the flavor of fruits!

dreaminitvegan said...

So Spring like indeed. This is just the treats like we've been eating although they are not homemade like yours. Thanks for the great recipe, we will be trying for sure!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

That looks SO delicious!

Shaheen said...

Hi
I have finally made one of your dishes the swedish meetballs and what a revelation they have been.
http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com/2009/04/versatile-veggie-meatballs.html
I hope your okay with me blogging about it.

julie hasson said...

What a gorgeous dessert Joni!! I can't wait to make it. One question for you about the pectin. Are you using the liquid or box of powdered? Do you have a preferred brand?

Thanks!!

julie hasson said...

Oops, I just saw that you used Sure-Jell. Duh! Was it the powdered?

Joni Marie Newman said...

julie...the powdered!

Corinne M said...

I am having a little spring party and I might just have to include this on the menu! Thanks for the recipe it looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

That sounds so good. Easy is a plus too. I can't wait to try this.

dessert recipes said...

Really flavorful. And to top it it's so easy to prepare! Great tasting treat without too much hassle.

2012 Copyright/Permissions/Disclaimers

All recipes written by me, Joni Marie Newman, unless otherwise noted. Please feel free to refer to or link back to any of my recipes, but please ask for permission, and remember to give credit when reprinting recipes in their entirety. I do provide links to affiliate programs (such as Amazon) in which I receive a small commission for items purchased. I do not provide paid reviews. All reviews done on products or books are of my own unsolicited opinion. On occasion I may receive a book or product to review. I will note when this is the case, but rest assured, it will not affect the authenticity of my review. Thanks!--Joni