Thursday, July 30, 2009

Daiya Vegan Shredded Cheese!



Okay, Okay. I took all of your advice and decided to give Tofurkey Deli Style Slices a try. This grilled sammy features the "Hickory Smoked" flavor (pretty good!), some Vegenaise, and...

...DAIYA Shredded Cheese!

Maybe you've heard of the stuff? Southern California Whole Foods Markets have rolled this out as an ingredient on their vegan pizzas. The product was so successful that the Specialty department (cheese and wine) decided to start selling it by the pound. My little Whole Foods in Laguna Beach doesn't have a pizza kitchen, so I was excited to get to buy it to try out on my own. It retails for $9.99 per pound around here, and I got a pretty decent amount for about $5. I bought both the white (Italian Style) and the yellow (Cheddar Style) and honestly, I couldn't really tell the difference between the two taste wise, but, guess what? IT MELTS AND STRETCHES!!! And it tastes pretty good to boot.

If you are wondering, on the side there, is a pasta salad, thrown together with some Vegenaise, Sri Racha hot sauce, green onions, pimiento, some of the white Daiya, garlic, onion, salt and pepper.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Um, yum! I can't wait to try some out!

Michal said...

Oh my gosh I am so wanting to try this out! I have heard so much about Daiya cheese but i cant find it anywhere around here. Your sammie looks uber yummy ♥

Vic Robinson said...

Looks tasty. I never thought of heating the Tofurky Deli Slices! Interesting idea!

dreaminitvegan said...

The sandwich looks so tasty! I've been hesitant to try daiya because we didn't really care for Teese. Do you think this is better?

Joni Marie Newman said...

WAY BETTER THAN TEESE! I didn't care for teese either.

East Village Vegan said...

I keep hearing about this cheese. That sandwich looks perfect!

Amy said...

I am unbelievably jealous of all American vegan food, but this soy free cheese really takes the cake (err the cheese? :P) YUM!!

The Voracious Vegan said...

We only occasionally, VERY occasionally get vegan cheese here in the deserts of Saudi Arabia. And the only kind they ever have is tofutti, which isn't bad, but I would LOVE to try Daiya! I have heard that it is amazing!

Frenchie said...

I just tried it recently...and I'm amazed...it's wonderful..melts great for vegan pizza and taste amazing...the other stuff I've tried taste like cardboard...this is quite good i must say.

2012 Copyright/Permissions/Disclaimers

All recipes written by me, Joni Marie Newman, unless otherwise noted. Please feel free to refer to or link back to any of my recipes, but please ask for permission, and remember to give credit when reprinting recipes in their entirety. I do provide links to affiliate programs (such as Amazon) in which I receive a small commission for items purchased. I do not provide paid reviews. All reviews done on products or books are of my own unsolicited opinion. On occasion I may receive a book or product to review. I will note when this is the case, but rest assured, it will not affect the authenticity of my review. Thanks!--Joni