Sunday, January 24, 2010

Jason Ellis Show Update

Sorry it took so long guys...things have been pretty crazy up in this joint. Anyhow, I think my appearance on the Jason Ellis Show went rather well. My husband says I played it safe, but I guess that's better than sounding like a crasshole. But in the end, I did get a , "Red Dragons!" so I guess that says it all.

I brought Jason some Barbecue Baby Back ribs, and a couple of vegan pizzas I made from scratch. He seemed pretty stoked, especially on the pizza. He even twittered about it later in the week and posted a picture of his daughter enjoying the pepperoni pizza I made for him.

TWEET

Here's a couple of pics of the food I brought for him:

Seitan Ribs with Cedar Bones (Picture by Celine Steen) Untitled
Pizzas:

Vegan Pepperoni Pizza for Jason Ellis
(TVP Pepperoni (recipe below) with vegetable tomato sauce and yellow and white Daiya on a THIS crust)

Vegan BBQ Pizza for Jason Ellis
(Seitan BBQ ribs, Orange Chipotle BBQ Sauce, garlic, onions, cilantro, and yellow and white Daiya on the same crust)
Here's the recipe for the Pepperoni Topping. It will be featured in Celine and my next book, The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions.

Pepperoni Topping for Pizza

1 cup (96 g) dry TVP granules
1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon (6 g) ground black pepper, depending on your heat preference
1 tablespoon (7 g) paprika
1 tablespoon (8 g) garlic powder
1 teaspoon anise seed
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or dried chipotle powder
1 cup (235 ml) water
2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
2 tablespoons (30 ml) liquid smoke

In a microwave safe bowl, mix together TVP with all of the herbs and spices.
Stir in water, oil and liquid smoke.
Cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave on high for about 6 minutes.
Carefully remove from microwave, and allow to cool enough to handle.
Alternately, mix spices together with TVP.
Bring water to a boil, add in oil and smoke, stir into TVP and spice mixture, cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
Fluff with a fork and use to top your pizza, or stuff a calzone!

14 comments:

Debra said...

oh my goodness I had to look twice those ribs looked real! It all looks so good..
Debra @ Vegan Family Style

Joni Marie Newman said...

Debra...that's 'cause I'm INSANE like that :)

Michal said...

Amazing! Im making some of this for dinner tomorrow night!

Michelle said...

Made these crumbles for pizza last night. I've been known to make pizza with "sausage" style TVP before, but these crumbles were above and beyond! Your spice mix is amazing and RIGHT ON! Sure to be a staple, not seeing many pizzas in my future without it.

I intend to give Celine's pepperoni seitan crumbles a whirl too as well as revamping the seitan pepperoni from Vegan Vittles with your spice blend.

Thanks!

celine said...

hooray for Perfect Pepperoni and PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS!

Joni Marie Newman said...

celine, you are too much!!! i love you.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JL goes Vegan said...

Oh, my, goodness. I must make the pepperoni pizza! Fabulous looking pizza!

L.T. said...

Okay, I just want make sure I'm getting this clear....You add the water, liquid smoke, and oil before you microwave, then at the end you add it and more spices again? Is this just for you taste preferences and consistancy?

I'm new to veg. cooking and found your website this morning. Glad I did, the recipes look great!
Thanks.

Joni Marie Newman said...

LT, there are 2 ways to do it...add everything to the bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and microwave

OR

Add spices, oil, and liquid smoke to the bowl, mix, add boiling water, cover, and let stand.

Don't do both!!!

Veggie Mama said...

I have just made the tvp mix (using ready-made veggie ground beef) and I am blown away by how good it tastes! I haven't even cooked it yet, just tasted it after I finished mixing in the spices. Amazing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Joni. After the TVP pepperoni topping is made, do they bake with the pizza or go on after the pizza is baked?

Joni Marie Newman said...

Bake it with the pizza :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your reply!

2012 Copyright/Permissions/Disclaimers

All recipes written by me, Joni Marie Newman, unless otherwise noted. Please feel free to refer to or link back to any of my recipes, but please ask for permission, and remember to give credit when reprinting recipes in their entirety. I do provide links to affiliate programs (such as Amazon) in which I receive a small commission for items purchased. I do not provide paid reviews. All reviews done on products or books are of my own unsolicited opinion. On occasion I may receive a book or product to review. I will note when this is the case, but rest assured, it will not affect the authenticity of my review. Thanks!--Joni