Thursday, October 6, 2011

Tuesdays for Two: Tacos!



TVP Tacos in Red Chile Flour Tortillas with Daiya Cheese, Lettuce, Chopped Jalapenos and Hot Sauce


I know I am a day late (and a dollar short!) but, did you know Tuesday was national Taco day?  So today's Tuesdays for Two will serve just that...TVP Tacos.  I love the simplicity of TVP taco meat, and so many who have tried it (omin, vegan, anyone actually) seem to agree that it really does mimic seasoned ground beef in both taste and texture.

My favorite recipe for TVP Taco Meat is this one, from The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions (page 117) but if you want to make it even more super duper easy, just use a packet of taco seasoning added to your TVP! 

TVP Taco Meat

1 cup TVP granules
1 teaspoon evaporated cane juice
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or ground chipotle powder)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup water
2 tablespoons olive oil (or any mild flavored vegetable oil)

In a heat safe bowl, mix together spices and TVP granules.  Stir in oil and water.  Cover tightly with plastic wrap and miccrowave on high for 5 to 6 minutes. 

Alternatively, in a heat safe bowl, mix together spices and TVP granules. Stir in oil.  Add boiling water, stir, cover and let stand for 10 minutes.

Use anywhere you would use a yummy, spicy, ground "beef".



6 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

I haven't tried that recipe yet but it sounds great.

B.A.D. said...

This looks brilliant!

Jessica said...

Do you squeeze out excess liquid?

I read a tip on another site and wanted your opinion.


The biggest tip with TVP in a recipe just as mince is if it smells soy-y/weird at all, make sure you use super hot water to reconstitute it (and I add a bit of tomato paste and soy sauce), then drain it completely and squeeze it out afterwards, so it loses that flavour.. Then cook it as normal.

Joni Marie Newman said...

Jessica,
That sounds like a good tip, but I don't think it's necessary in this recipe as there shouldn't be any excess liquid, and no need to mince as you will use TVP granules, not chunks! Thanks for sharing.

celyn said...

I made this super-easy recipe tonight, with just a little added tomato paste. I am currently enjoying it in tacos with diced roasted potatoes, fresh raw corn, and pickled jalapenos. Thank you again for helping me over my fear of tvp!

Judith Stewart said...

Jessica means "mince" as in what the brits call ground beef. You are using TVP as a sub for mince.

2012 Copyright/Permissions/Disclaimers

All recipes written by me, Joni Marie Newman, unless otherwise noted. Please feel free to refer to or link back to any of my recipes, but please ask for permission, and remember to give credit when reprinting recipes in their entirety. I do provide links to affiliate programs (such as Amazon) in which I receive a small commission for items purchased. I do not provide paid reviews. All reviews done on products or books are of my own unsolicited opinion. On occasion I may receive a book or product to review. I will note when this is the case, but rest assured, it will not affect the authenticity of my review. Thanks!--Joni