Friday, October 5, 2012

Freedom Fridays: Beyond Meat


Today I had the awesome opportunity to try out the new Beyond Meat Chickenless Strips.  Oh man!  These things are certainly going to give Gardein a run for their money...and I love me some Gardein.

Beyond Meat is so realistic.  You will definitely do a double take, "Is this really vegan?"  (Photo courtesy of the Beyond Meat website) 
The main difference is the absence of gluten.  I don't have a gluten intolerance, but the flavor of gluten is prominent...not that it's necessarily a bad thing....it just is.  Beyond Meat doesn't have that.  Like Gardein, it is very realistic.  I am going to go ahead and say it.  It is even more realistic than it's competition.  And if you gave up meat because meat grossed you out...this is going to gross you out too.  But if you gave up meat because you just don't think it's right to eat an animal, but you liked it in your pregan days, or you are still on the fence about this whole vegan thing...then you will really love this stuff.
Beyond Meat plant based chicken (Photo courtesy of the Beyond Meat Website)
Lucky for me, it is now available in the Prepared Foods department of my Local Whole Foods market as well as the new vegan sandwich shop Phoney Baloney's in Irvine!  And they are currently working towards a nationwide presence.  If there is a place near you that has it, you should definitely try it.  I know I am going to have some fun with it over the next few weeks.  I promise to report back.




17 comments:

Jackie @ Vegan Yack Attack! said...

Wait, where is your local Whole Foods?!

KitteeBee said...

I'm glad this is an option for me, super glad of the xgfx, but really really spooked to try this. Not a fan of chicken texture, no no no! But I like the delicious and want to be open minded.

xo
kittee

Joni Marie Newman said...

Tustin!

Joni Marie Newman said...

Kittee, it is very realistic. very.

Kate said...

Hmmm...not a huge fan of mock meat, don't see the point. BUT - great for new vegos, or fence sitters as you say. Could be a great gag to play on a meat eater :)

Shannon said...

The organic market that I run a vegan bakery for, Roots, was the only place on the East Coast to have this stuff for a long time. We sell it as a bbq flavor that we grill too. We go through hundreds of pounds a week! It's crazy.

VeggieAmanda said...

I have been dying to try this! I wish it would come to NC! I would love a vegan AND GF meat substitute!

omgoshimvegan said...

I've heard so much about this and can't wait to try it. Glad to hear it's so good.

Veg-In-Training said...

Holy crap. That looks very realistic. I will have to see if it is available at my WF. I had a vegan chicken leg at Karyn's on Green in Chicago. It looks very similar.

Anonymous said...

Is this the WF off of Jamboree you speak of? I'll be in Orange County tomorrow and would love to check out Phoney Baloney's (Sonoma Chicken Salad get in my belly now) and grab some of this stuff from WF.


Lauren @ http://www.thejollyfox.com

Joni Marie Newman said...

Yes! The one on Jamboree. Right now they have it in the Chef's Case (where all of the cold deli salads are). Ask for a sample. They love to give out samples. Haha.

Joni Marie Newman said...

"great for new vegos, or fence sitters" and that is the point :)

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, that looks so real. I can't wait to try some.

Stephanie said...

Lucky! I've been dying to try this stuff!

Sarah said...

I have never heard of this - thank you!!!

Jackie @ Vegan Yack Attack! said...

Nice! Mine is the Long Beach one, but my bf lives in Orange. Maybe I can swoop by there to check it out. :D

Joni Marie Newman said...

Long Beach should have it now too!

2012 Copyright/Permissions/Disclaimers

All recipes written by me, Joni Marie Newman, unless otherwise noted. Please feel free to refer to or link back to any of my recipes, but please ask for permission, and remember to give credit when reprinting recipes in their entirety. I do provide links to affiliate programs (such as Amazon) in which I receive a small commission for items purchased. I do not provide paid reviews. All reviews done on products or books are of my own unsolicited opinion. On occasion I may receive a book or product to review. I will note when this is the case, but rest assured, it will not affect the authenticity of my review. Thanks!--Joni