Monday, October 8, 2012

Mash-Up Monday: Indian Food, Mexican Food, and Burgers


Indian food, Mexican food and burgers?  Why not?  Now, you might not know this about me, but I fancy myself a bit of a burger snob.  Veggie burgers of course!  I even wrote a little book about it.  This is a recipe from that book.

Masa Masala Burger patty before cooking (from The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet)
Masa Masala Burgers
Two of my favorite ethnic foods are Indian and Mexican. I took a bit of a risk to try and combine the two, but here goes! These are soy and wheat free as a bonus. I like them served on a bed of greens or Basmati rice with Tangy Tahini Sauce (below), or any of your favorite creamy dressings.

1 cup (114 g) masa harina flour, like Maseca™
1 cup (198 g) fully cooked lentils
2/3 cup (160 ml) water
2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Additional oil for frying (optional)

This couldn't be easier. Mix all ingredients together and form into patties.
Pan fry in oil (or you can use a little non stick spray on a hot skillet) and fry 3 to 5 minutes per side.
You can bake these, but they tend to dry out a bit, so, make sure to use a foil tent and maybe even brush a little extra olive oil on them before baking.
Bake at 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4) for about 10 minutes per side.

Yield: 4 burgers

Masa Masala Burgers, fully cooked topped with Tangy Tahini Sauce

Tangy Tahini Sauce
This wheat free (can be soy free too, depending on what kind of yogurt you use!) tangy sauce works well as a spread for the Masa Masala Burgers. It also works well as a salad dressing and dip for veggies.

1 container (6 ounces, 170 g) of plain nondairy yogurt
3 tablespoons (48 g) tahini paste
2 tablespoons (30 ml) sesame oil
1 tablespoon (15 ml) lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dill
1/2 teaspoon paprika
salt pepper to taste

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, or whisk together very well.
Store in an airtight container, in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Yield: 1 cup (235 ml)




2 comments:

Sarah said...

Those look really great!

Unknown said...

I love the mexican foods since the childhood because in the early days we live in the mexico but now we move on the other place. The taste of the mexican food is very delicious and i hope you other people eat it they will also like it. mexican.co.uk

2012 Copyright/Permissions/Disclaimers

All recipes written by me, Joni Marie Newman, unless otherwise noted. Please feel free to refer to or link back to any of my recipes, but please ask for permission, and remember to give credit when reprinting recipes in their entirety. I do provide links to affiliate programs (such as Amazon) in which I receive a small commission for items purchased. I do not provide paid reviews. All reviews done on products or books are of my own unsolicited opinion. On occasion I may receive a book or product to review. I will note when this is the case, but rest assured, it will not affect the authenticity of my review. Thanks!--Joni