Monday, October 1, 2012

Mash Up Monday: Seaweed and Ranch Dressing


Hello, MoFo!  My, how I have missed you.  I am super excited to kick this year's MoFo off with a funky little recipe I was inspired to create by my friend Katie.  Katie isn't vegan, but she is open minded to vegan cooking and cuisine, plus she's a really talented chef.  She makes a non vegan version of this and, although I never have tasted it, the idea of it sounded super yummy.  The main difference between hers and mine, besides the vegan-ocity, is that hers contains wasabi.  And while a little wasabi here and there is okay, I am not a huge fan.  So I subbed a little prepared horseradish instead.



Nori Garlic Ranch Dressing
Doesn't the nutty seafood-y umami of toasted nori add such a great flavor to dishes?  Ever since going vegan (I think it's about 9 years ago now!) I have been adding seaweed to things to give them that little bit of flavor from the sea.  This is no exception.  The addition of ground up Nori flakes to this slightly kicky ranch is pretty fantastic.  Use it as you would any ranch dressing or dip.  On salads, with crudite,  you can even drizzle it all over your tacos (instead of the recommended Spicy Sushi Sauce.)

12 ounces silken tofu, drained, but not pressed
1/4 cup mild flavored vegetable oil
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon agave or brown rice syrup
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon ground toasted nori flakes (I used 2 sheets of toasted nori, ground in a dry food processor)
1 teaspoon dried dill
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt (more or less to taste)
1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder or cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon black sesame seeds

Add all ingredients, except water and sesame seeds, to a blender and puree until smooth.
Add water a little bit at a time until you reach your desired consistency.  Less water for a dip, more water four a pourable dressing.
Stir in sesame seeds.
Store in an airtight container in te refrigerator until ready to use.
Should last up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
Shake before using, as oil and water tend to separate as they stand.

Yield: 2 1/2 cups (48 tablespoons!)

(1 serving=1 tablespoon)




3 comments:

celine said...

If I don't make this for Chaz soon, I'll never hear the end of it. (He used to be the biggest fan of Ranch.)

Joni Marie Newman said...

And no Vegenaise to boot :)

urban vegan said...

I'm always looking for a new dressing. This looks nori, nori good ;)

2012 Copyright/Permissions/Disclaimers

All recipes written by me, Joni Marie Newman, unless otherwise noted. Please feel free to refer to or link back to any of my recipes, but please ask for permission, and remember to give credit when reprinting recipes in their entirety. I do provide links to affiliate programs (such as Amazon) in which I receive a small commission for items purchased. I do not provide paid reviews. All reviews done on products or books are of my own unsolicited opinion. On occasion I may receive a book or product to review. I will note when this is the case, but rest assured, it will not affect the authenticity of my review. Thanks!--Joni