Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Work Night Wednesdays: Barbecue Pulled "Pork" Sandwiches


This is freakily realistic.  I can't believe I haven't jumped on the whole "jackfruit as meat" bandwagon sooner!



Barbecue Pulled "Pork" Sandwich
Although this takes an hour to make on the stovetop, it only requires one pot, and most of the time is cook time.  You can alternately cook this in your slow cooker on low for 6 to 8 hours.

1/4 cup mild flavored vegetable oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
pinch salt
pinch black pepper
2 cans (16 ounces each) Jackfruit in brine or water (not syrup!)
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
2 cups of your favorite barbecue sauce, store bought or homemade
4 to 6 sandwich rolls, toasted
Coleslaw, optional

Heat oil over medium high heat in a pot with a tight fitting lid.
Add onion and sauté for about 5 minutes.
Add garlic, salt and pepper, and sauté for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until fragrant.
Drain and rinse jackfruit.  Cut into bite sized chunks.
Add jackfruit and liquid smoke to the pot and toss to combine.
Add barbecue sauce, stir to combine, and bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for one hour, returning every 10 to 15 minutes to stir and prevent sticking to the bottom of the pot.  If needed, add a bit of water to prevent scorching.
As you stir, smash any large chunks of jackfruit into stringy bits.
Remove from heat.
Place coleslaw, if using, on the bottom half of the sandwich and then pile on the pulled "pork."

Yield: 4 to 6 sandwiches, depending on the serving size.


20 comments:

Veg-In-Training said...

Wow! That does look eerily meaty! Yummy!

Yogi Kitchen said...

I think that's the best texture and colour I've seen so far. Got to get around to buying another tin of jackfruit : )

KellyC said...

Oh sweet damn! That looks sooooo yummy!

Em said...

That looks so good. I was in the Asian Grocer today and saw cans of Jackfruit and this photo immediately sprung to mind. Going to make it very soon!

Michelle Schwegmann said...

dinner tonight!!

mikaila said...

That looks seriously delicious.

dreaminitvegan said...

WOW! I've heard so much about jack fruit. I really need to try this out.

Shannon said...

Jackfruit makes such good bbq material!

vegan.in.brighton said...

OH.MY.GOD That picture is INSANE! I have a can of jackfruit waiting for me in the cupboard and I'll definitely be making these.

Unknown said...

I think I'm also late on the jackfruit bandwagon considering I've never even heard of it before! Your picture may have just converted me...

Hindy Garfinkel said...

We did this a while back and was so happy with the results. Yours look fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks so real! I think that could fool any omni. I love using jackfruit as a "meat" substitute.

Southern Purple Veggie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BBQ catering said...

Burger is a great fun and highly addictive junk food. I am also addicted to it. Your recipe is amazing and I will surely try to make it sometime.

erin32mc said...

that sandwich looks INSANELY good!!!

Patsy Randall said...

I am making this tonight! YUM!

anniebaker said...

more information on https://www.buzzfeed.com/food

Lisa Kelley said...

Thank you for the recipe! I will try to cook this! Since I bought the rice cooker I usually cook dishes with rice. This will be the great supplement! In the website http://cooker.guru/best-stainless-steel-rice-cookers-reviews, I know that the rice cooker has different possibilities. If I don't have time for interesting and delicious dishes I just read the website. Hope it will be useful to you too!

Unknown said...

How long will this last in the fridge?

Joni Marie Newman said...

About a week.

2012 Copyright/Permissions/Disclaimers

All recipes written by me, Joni Marie Newman, unless otherwise noted. Please feel free to refer to or link back to any of my recipes, but please ask for permission, and remember to give credit when reprinting recipes in their entirety. I do provide links to affiliate programs (such as Amazon) in which I receive a small commission for items purchased. I do not provide paid reviews. All reviews done on products or books are of my own unsolicited opinion. On occasion I may receive a book or product to review. I will note when this is the case, but rest assured, it will not affect the authenticity of my review. Thanks!--Joni