Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Vegan MoFo VII, Day 17: Curry Tofu and Arugula Salad


Curry Tofu and Arugula Salad from
The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions (page 177)

Man, I don't know about all of you, but where I live we are experiencing a late summer heat wave like we haven't had in YEARS.  Hovering around 104 since Saturday. Sheesh.  You better believe no ovens are getting turned on around here. And if I can help it, no stove either!  This recipe from The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions: Veganize It! Foolproof Methods for Transforming Any Dish into a Delicious New Vegan Favorite is quick and easy, and requires no cooking.



Oh, and happy 20th anniversary to my lover!  I cannot believe I have been with this amazing man for 20 years already.  I seriously still feel like this kid in the photo.  Time really does fly.




Curry Tofu and Arugula Salad
*Quick and Easy
*Wheat Free
*Gluten Free
The more natural colors on your plate, the healthier the meal! This salad is a riot of peppery green arugula, sweet red peppers, and yellow curry dressing. You’re welcome to enjoy it on its own, but why not try scoop it onto a crostini or stuff it in a wrap or pita? If you are not a fan of arugula, feel free to substitute baby spinach.

1 pound (454 g) extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed, pan-fried if desired
3 ounces (84 g) stemmed arugula
1/4 cup (40 g) raisins
1/4 cup (30 g) pine nuts
1/4 cup (46 g) diced roasted red peppers
Half a medium red onion, finely diced
1 cup (224 g) vegan mayonnaise, store-bought or homemade (page XX)
2 tablespoons (30 ml) apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon (6 g) curry powder to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Chop tofu into small cubes and place in a large mixing bowl.
Add arugula, raisins, pine nuts, red peppers, and onion.
In a small bowl, whisk together mayo, vinegar, curry powder, salt, and pepper.
Add dressing to salad and toss to coat.

Yield: 4 main-dish or 8 side-dish servings

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I have the book but haven't tried this recipe yet. Looks great!

2012 Copyright/Permissions/Disclaimers

All recipes written by me, Joni Marie Newman, unless otherwise noted. Please feel free to refer to or link back to any of my recipes, but please ask for permission, and remember to give credit when reprinting recipes in their entirety. I do provide links to affiliate programs (such as Amazon) in which I receive a small commission for items purchased. I do not provide paid reviews. All reviews done on products or books are of my own unsolicited opinion. On occasion I may receive a book or product to review. I will note when this is the case, but rest assured, it will not affect the authenticity of my review. Thanks!--Joni